The sun is shining, but brighten up your day even more with our pick of the hottest social media news from this week.
SOCIAL MEDIA DOWNLOAD
- Introducing So.cl the new social network from Microsoft specifically for students. The site, which launched over the weekend combines social networking and search giving college students a platform to learn and collect information, news and pictures from around the web. But can the latest social network truly stand out in an already crowded social space?
- Foursquare has become the latest tool to jump on the Olympics bandwagon – users can check in to stadiums, training venues and other key landmarks which have inspired athletes. Olympic bosses have dubbed London 2012 the first “social media games” but will you be checking in?
- Hot on the heels of its IPO, Facebook has acquired social media gifting app Karma – allowing users to send gifts to their friends, and adding an additional money maker to the site
- New tool Diet Coda is set to launch for iPad, meaning editing web sites will be possible on the move
- Time to get chatting! Video chat company ooVoo has rolled out its service to Facebook, allowing up to 12 friends to chat face-to-face at once – could this spell problems for Skype?
CAMPAIGNS OF THE WEEK
- We love this clever Guinness campaign from BBDO. Not only does the glass look fantastic, it can check you in to Foursquare, tweet about your pint AND update your Facebook friends..but only if you fill the glass with a dark liquid (like Guinness!) – genius!
- IKEA just keeps #winning with new and innovative campaigns. The latest “smallest store in the world” packs the entire catalogue into a 10.5cm x 8.8cm web banner
With Facebook’s IPO being big news this week, we love this clever infographic which compares its value as an online display advertising network with Google.